1. Heat one tablespoon of olive oil in a large cast iron skillet over high heat, then pour beaten eggs into the hot oil.
2. Move the eggs around the pan constantly, so that they scramble.
3. As soon as they’re cooked but still soft, about 30 seconds, take them out of the pan and set them aside.
4. Heat another tablespoon of olive oil in the same skillet over medium heat.
5. Add onions and cook until they’re starting to soften, about 2 minutes.
7. Add the garlic and cook until it’s fragrant, about 30 seconds.
8. Add raw corn, cooked broccoli, and cooked bell peppers.
9. Stir everything together and cook just until the vegetables are warmed through, about 2 minutes.
10. Add rice vinegar and stir, scraping off anything that might be stuck to the bottom of the pan.
11. Add the cooked egg, and stir it around to break it up.
12. Add cooked rice and soy sauce.
13. Stir together, and cook just until the rice is hot, about 3 minutes.
The Easiest Vegetable Fried Rice
Makes 4 servings
Recipe by Christine Byrne
For this recipe, you’ll need two-thirds of the steamed broccoli and one-third of the roasted peppers that you made ahead of time.
2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
4 large eggs
Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
1 large yellow onion, roughly chopped
4 cloves garlic, minced
¾ cup raw corn kernels
3 cups broccoli florets
⅔ cup sliced, roasted bell peppers
1½ tablespoons unseasoned rice vinegar
4 cups cooked jasmine rice
3 tablespoons soy sauce or tamari
Heat one tablespoon of olive oil in a large, heavy-bottomed skillet over high heat. Season the beaten eggs with salt and pepper, then pour the eggs into the hot oil. Use a wooden spoon or rubber spatula to move the eggs around the skillet until they’re cooked through but still soft, about 30 seconds. Transfer the cooked eggs to a plate and set aside.
Heat the remaining tablespoon of oil in the same skillet over medium heat. Add the chopped onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until the onion is starting to soften, about 2 minutes. Add the garlic and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds more. Add the corn, broccoli, and bell pepper, season with salt and pepper, and cook until the vegetables are warmed through, about 2 minutes more. Add the rice vinegar and stir, scraping off anything stuck to the bottom of the pan. Add the cooked egg and stir it around to break it into bite-sized pieces. Add the rice and soy sauce and cook, stirring often, until thoroughly mixed and heated through, about 3 minutes more. Serve immediately.
This recipe is part of a series of five dinners that you can make from a single afternoon of prep. Find all five dinners, along with a grocery list and prep instructions, here.
MONDAY: Easy Slow Cooker Pork Rice Bowl
TUESDAY: Pork and Veggie Pita Wraps with Smashed Avocado
WEDNESDAY: Vegetable Fried Rice
THURSDAY: Shredded Pork and Vegetable Hash
FRIDAY: Baked Egg, Bean, and Cheese Pita PIzzas