1. Invest in a waterproof case.
2. Stock up on plastic baggies.
If you’re going to the beach, you should absolutely put your phone in a plastic bag. It will keep it safe from any water or sand on your hands or in your beach bag.
3. Or use a phone condom.
You read right: Now you can pop your phone into its very own condom. Be safe out there, kids.
4. If you drown your phone, immediately use a hairdryer on MEDIUM heat.
You’ve probably heard of the rice trick, but Gazelle tested and compared it to seven other methods, and they recommend shaking, blowing, and/or vacuuming as much water out as you can before relying on drying agents. Rice, kitty litter, and even a sponge can get out the last few drops, but probably won’t save a soaked phone on their own.
5. Know when your phone is too hot.
Apple recommends an ideal iPhone temperature zone of 32 to 95º F and stored unused at -4 to 113º F. But a good rule of thumb is if the temperature is too hot for you, it’s probably too hot for your phone.
6. Keep your phone in the shade while you’re in the sun.
Keep it in your bag or stash it under some towels to keep it cool while you get that vitamin D.
7. Don’t leave it in a hot car.
You may think you’re clever for keeping your phone away from the beach by keeping it in your car, but if your car gets too hot your phone will fry too.
8. Keep your phone away from other devices.
Don’t stack your electronics on top of each other: It will only combine the damaging heat they each produce.
9. If it is overheating, turn it off STAT.
Don’t wait for this message to show up! If it feels even the tiniest bit overheated, shut your phone off immediately.
10. Let it cool in front of a fan.
Try holding your phone in front of a fan or under a hairdryer on COOL to speed your phone’s recovery.
11. Use a cuticle pusher to scoop out any sand.
Keep a cheap one on hand to get those harmful grains out of your hardware.
12. Keep sand out of your earphone jack with an adorable dust plug.
This precious elephant with keep you safe from mean ol’ sand. You can find tons of options on Amazon.
13. Get a towel that will protect your phone.
This towel has pockets to keep your phone dry, safe from sand, and out of direct sunlight.
14. Beach spikers can also keep your phone out of harm’s way.
You’ll probably want two: one for your phone, the other for your piña colada.
15. Use some sticky tape to lift away dirt and sand.
Wrap scotch tape around your fingers with the sticky side facing outward to pick up sand and dirt before they ruin your phone.
16. Use non-greasy sunscreen on your face.
17. Get an anti-glare screen.
An anti-glare screen like one of these will save you from turning your phone’s brightness all the way up, keeping your phone from overheating and saving your battery.
18. Or rock some polarized sunglasses.
No more glare and you’ll look so damn cool.
19. Invest in a solar-powered charger.
Take advantage of all that sunshine with a solar-powered charger like this one fromSolio. Just keep an eye on the temperature!